The department has the following educational laboratories on the major courses:
- Laboratory of drilling engineering;
- Laboratory of drilling fluids and cement slurries;
- Laboratory of drilling engineering of water and oil & gas wells;
- Laboratory of directional drilling;
- Laboratory of measuring-and-recording apparatus;
- Laboratory of well completion;
- Laboratory of drilling machinery.
The laboratories are equipped with modern facilities: there is a computer lab consisting of 8 PCs with the Internet connection. There is also a video library with video tapes of educational films on drilling. The room №714 of the Oil building is equipped with an interactive whiteboard which allows to a lecturer presenting the material in more colorful and accessible way for learning.
In 2014, the department was given three modern compact rotary drilling rig installations purchased by the University. The introduction of the rigs into the educational process has been significantly improving the quality of training of future specialists/graduates.
There are numerous laboratory samples of drill bits, coring bits and other drilling equipments in the department’s laboratories.
Methodical complex of the educational process is at a high level: syllabuses, training programs and educational-methodical complexes (EMC) on all courses are provided;
Currently, most syllabuses and educational-methodical complexes are being updated according to the latest scientific achievements in the field of well drilling engineering.
The department’s staff has issued the following textbooks and manuals on core courses:
1. Е.Л.Лиманов, И.Н.Страбыкин, М.И.Елизаров. Направленное бурение разведочных скважин / М.: Недра, 1978. 223 с.
2. Тұяқбаев Н.Т. Барлама бұрғылау –1-2.том. Алматы: Мектеп, 1977-1979 c.
3. Лиманов Е.Л. Направленное бурение – новый способ разведки месторождений полезных ископаемых. Учебное пособие. Алма-Ата, КазПТИ, 1984. – 96 с.
4. Танатаров Т.Т. Способы и технические средства доставки тампонажных материалов / Учебное пособие. Алма-Ата, КазПТИ, 1988. – 71 с.
5. Федоров Б.В. Бурение и оборудование гидрогеологических скважин / Учебное пособие. Алма-Ата, КазПТИ, 1989
Staff of the department actively participate in international scientific conferences, organized by the leading foreign scientific and educational organizations and KazNTU. Thus, in recent years (2010-2015 yy.), teaching staff have participated in more than 15 scientific conferences, organized by V. Bakul Institute for Superhard Materials, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (Kiev, Ukraine), National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (Kiev, Ukraine), St. Saint-Petersburg State Marine Technical University (SPSMTU) (Saint-Petersburg, Russia), Kazakh National Technical University named after Satpayev K.I. (Almaty, Kazakhstan), the National Mining University (NMU) (Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine), Federal University of Krasnoyarsk (Krasnoyarsk, Russia), Russian State Geological Prospecting University (MGPI-RGGRU) named by Sergo Ordzhonikidze (Moscow, Russia), 14th SGEM GeoConference on Science and Technologies In Geology, Exploration and Mining, www.sgem.org, SGEM, (Albena, Bulgaria), National Research "Tomsk Polytechnic University" (TPU), (Tomsk, Russia).
Professor Ratov B.T. in 2012 and Head teacher Moldabekov M.S. in 2013 were on internship at the company's facilities by the invitation of the «Schlumberger» company.